Thursday, October 22, 2015

Sherman: I don't want to be President, and I don't want to do blurbs.

From Fine Books & Collections:

No, General Sherman Will Not Blurb Your Book


Swann Sherman.jpgSherman’s correspondent wasFrancis J. Lippitt, and instead of a publicity quote, Sherman offered the author this advice: “...I think after the publication by Congress of the Official Reports of the last war you can combine your learning with the experience gained & illustrate it by recent & modern examples, which will make a Book on strategy most valuable & interesting not only to the General Readers, but to the military.” Still, Sherman continued, “I must abstain from giving my name.... But I will on all occasions express to you and others the interest I feel in the General subject. Officers in whom I have a personal interest, who have grown up under my eye & instruction are rapidly turning their swords into pens and all ask my aid, so that to give one & not another the endorsement of my name & opinion would be construed with partiality.... I hope you will be content with the expression of my general approval of your efforts.”

In other words, he’s had too many requests, and--unlike some modern authors who will blurb just about anything--Sherman simply refuses to oblige. This unusual autograph letter heads to auction at Swann Galleries in New York next week and is estimated to reach $2,000-3,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from visitors! Please leave your questions, thoughts, wish lists, or whatever else is on your mind.