Sunday, April 17, 2016

Move aside, Readers Digest: the Digested Read of this book will put you to sleep 32% faster

Huffington and now-Senator Al Franken in their 1996 comedy/political show, Strange Bedfellows

It began in 2007 when I was on a tour to promote my worldwide bestseller, Thrive, in which I let the little people in on some of the secrets of the fabulously successful. I had just spent the morning in Washington with Hillary Clinton, before giving a lecture to several thousand entrepreneurs, when my phone rang inviting me to give a television talk in Seattle that evening. Even though I was as dog tired as only the world’s busiest and most important woman can be, I said yes. Back home in LA the following morning, tragedy struck. I fell over and slightly grazed my elbow.

“Help!” I wailed helplessly, while answering some very important emails on my BlackBerry. My daughter came running. “What’s the matter?” she said, looking very bored. “I’ve got Fomo.” “What’s that?” “It’s fear of missing out, you idiot. And it’s got so bad, I’m now not sleeping at all well, which is why I am so critically injured.”

On my way home from the ER, where a doctor applied a plaster to my life-threatening wounds, I resolved to write another book to help all the little people who might find themselves in the same situation. Well, obviously not exactly the same situation, as I was one of the world’s most successful businesswomen running an internationally famous website named modestly after myself, but as near to it as other people could realistically expect to get. And the book I was going to write was about sleep, because it was clear to me people weren’t getting nearly enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from visitors! Please leave your questions, thoughts, wish lists, or whatever else is on your mind.