Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Mothers, don't let your sons grow up to be eminent rare book dealers


Thomas Rowlandson, "Picturesque Beauties of Boswell, Part the Second- The Contest At Auchinleck" (1786). Image shows Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-84) attacking Alexander Boswell, Lord Auchinleck (1707-82) with books inscribed 'liturgy', Auchinleck drops two books, 'Calvin' and 'Whiggism'; James Boswell (1740-95) stands in the doorway biting his thumbs and drops his journal; James Boswell wrote 'The Life of Samuel Johnson'; image is one in a series of pictures about Boswell and Johnson's journey to Scotland.

From The New York Times' Ethicist advice column, November 29, 2017:

I am a graduate student in a program designed to prepare you for a career working with rare books and manuscripts. I have a job as an assistant to an antiquarian bookseller. It is just the two of us, and he pays me very well, allows me to work the hours I want, gives me a good deal of responsibility and is willing to give me in-depth training. He is, however, racist, homophobic, transphobic, bigoted and sexist. I am very liberal and find his ideas on many subjects to be repugnant. Though I have asked that he not talk about politics when we are together, he still does so from time to time. I often just let him speak and barely engage; debating with him only riles him and puts me in a bad spot, because I depend on the salary to pay for school and rent.

I feel guilty knowing that I am working for a man who looks down on most people who are different from him and knowing he would never say these things (or have hired me) if I were a different race or gender from him. My mind is seldom at ease at work. Is it ethical for me to continue working for this man, knowing how hateful he can be about others? Or is it O.K. because I know I am just doing this for the money and the training and would never condone his beliefs?

Name Withheld

My condolences. This sounds like a pretty poisonous environment. Someone who knows about workplace law in your country can tell you whether it prohibits this sort of thing. If it does, you might want to be firmer than just saying you would rather not talk about politics. Of course, your boss might fire you if you are too clear in your objections. But if he did, he might end up owing you money; ask a local employment lawyer. If you can’t afford one, there’ll be a clinic at the local law school, I bet.

Here’s the thing, though. I’m not sure you need to feel so bad about what you’re doing. You’re commendably repulsed by his bigotry and though you haven’t resisted as bravely as you might have, you certainly haven’t given in entirely. And you feel guilty because you’ve got a position that you think only white men would have been considered for. That sentiment, too, is honorable, but the wrong here isn’t yours, and you didn’t know the deck was stacked when you applied for the job. Yes, you’re benefiting from white, cisgender, straight, male privilege to a somewhat greater degree than others with those identities, but that’s not something you’re responsible for. Leaving your job in protest would open up a spot — for another white man.

Can you express your dissent somewhat more plainly, without jeopardizing a job that, in other respects, sounds pretty ideal for you? Then do so. Here we get into the niceties of interpersonal relations; some people have a knack for disagreeing without being disagreeable. You might see what you can manage in this regard. All things considered, though, you are morally free to pay your way through school this way. And when your studies are nearly complete, you might want to confront your boss more forthrightly about his odious opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We enjoy hearing from visitors! Please leave your questions, thoughts, wish lists, or whatever else is on your mind.